Tuesday 31 January 2012

English Common Entrance Multiple Choice1

English Language Multiple Choice (1)

Common Entrance



Word Usage



Directions: Choose the letter of the word that best completes the sentence.



1.      When I took up swimming at the age of forty five, I _____________________ a high school swimming team.

(a)    join                        (b) joined                     (c) was joining             (d) joins





2.      There ______________ no athletes my age in my area.

(a)    was                        (b) were                       (c) is                            (d) have





3.      I made friends with a classmate ___________________ would inform me of the time and place of the lessons.

(a)    whom                    (b) who                        (c) which                     (d) what





4.      My class quickly accepted ______________ but at the lessons it was a different story.

(a)    I                             (b) them                       (c) me                          (d) she





5.      Since I was the _____________________ person in the class I felt alone sometimes.   

(a)    old                         (b) older                      (c) oldest                     (d) more older





6.      The competing teams and their trainers always found it quite __________ that someone my age would be swimming and actually competing.

(a)    odd                        (b) reckless                  (c) noticeable               (d) deceiving  





7.      _________________ the swimming, I usually overtook the younger swimmers.

(a)    On                         (b) Into                        (c) Over                       (d) During





8.      I swim as fast as I can __________________ a few of them always catch up with me.

(a)    and                                    (b) but                         (c) because                  (d) if





9.      Some of them could swim _________________ well.

(a)    expectedly             (b) increasingly            (c) exceptionally          (d) occasionally





10.  No matter how hard they swam, I was the ______________ of them all.

(a)    fast                                    (b) faster                      (c) fastest                    (d) more fast




Multiple Choice Answers
1)      B
2)      B
3)      B
4)      C
5)      C
6)      A
7)      D
8)      B
9)      C
10)  C











No comments:

Post a Comment